Tuesday, September 20, 2022

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses. (Henry Ford)

 Ah, yes, innovation. Where does it come from? It never seems to result when you simply ask users what they want. They simply don’t know, or would never be able to articulate it if they did. 

Steve Jobs said something very similar: “A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” I’ve already covered this elsewhere, so I’d like to try and put this idea in a little different context this time, a context a little closer to a user researcher’s heart.

I often get clients coming to me asking for faster horses. And by that, I simply mean that they ask me for what they already know. Usually, this means a survey, an interview, or a focus group. Everybody’s heard of those, right? 

In this situation, it’s my job to ask questions, to get at what they’re really after, to ignore the how and focus on the what and why. As a result, I will typically be giving them something new and innovative, something that they may never have heard of before. And what I’ll be suggesting to them is a usability test. 

Now, a usability test may not be all that new and innovative – if you’re a user researcher, that is.  For them, though, it definitely can be.

And that brings another thought to mind. We already have so many tools in the toolbox. Why is it so important for researchers to be always coming up with some new method?

Yes, new tools do definitely come along. And it’s super-important to be aware of them, add them to your arsenal, and be able to apply and use them in the right context.

I really do think, though, that innovation in research tools is overemphasized. Why might that be? I guess it’s a combination of not-invented-here-syndrome, looking good at your performance appraisal, impressing the higher-ups, giving your small consultancy a differentiator, wanting to get a publishing credit, etc.

The toolbox, though, is pretty well jam-packed with a number of tried-and-true, absolutely brilliant methods that have already passed the test of time and usefulness across the industry – usability testing itself, remote testing, unmoderated testing, ethnography, card sorts … I think the real skill is in understanding all the available tools, educating your clients on those, picking the right one & doing a bang-up job applying it.

BTW, I find this quote particularly rich coming from Henry Ford. I mean, wasn’t he the same guy who said, “You can have them in any color you want, boys, as long as they're black”?


His real innovations came in the factory


No comments:

Post a Comment