Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Designers shooting for usable is like a chef shooting for edible. (Aarron Walter)

In general, I agree with this and totally understand where this guy is going with it. Personally, though, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way the first time I heard it. 

First, it sounded sort of like things should revolve around the designer, and not the user. Maybe it’s just me, but shouldn’t the chef be super-focused on providing an excellent meal for his patrons? Similarly, shouldn’t designers be shooting for an excellent experience for their users?

Yes, there are celebrity chefs out there who seem to reverse the two sides of the equation. I don’t know about you, but the places those guys run are not where I really want to eat every night. First of all, I can’t afford it. Second, I don’t always have the time for a 3-hour, 8-course meal. And, sometimes, I just hate to get dressed up and go out. I mean once in awhile is fine, but not all the time.

Honestly, are all designers really chefs? Aren’t there plenty of roles out there that really call more for cooks? I may simply want to buy a book, or pay a bill, or look something up, or reserve a rental car. A burger and fries would be the gastronomic equivalent for this. Really, I don’t expect Thomas Keller cooking tableside if I have a half hour at my desk between meetings for lunch.

Maybe the quote simply begs the question … What should the designer be shooting for? If it’s not usability, what is it? 

Well, what I often hear is delight, or creativity, or innovation, or passion ... Which is all well and good. 

Most places I’ve worked at, though, are more like greasy spoons, with lines around the corner, and the fryer has just broken down, and we’re down two waitresses … Pretty much not El Bulli. Honestly, though, between the deadlines and the politics and the HIPPOs (highest paid person’s opinion) and the marketeers and all the rest of it, if a designer can provide a usable experience, I say toques off to them! 

I really think that’s only going to happen, though, if the user is first and foremost in the designer’s mind. Believe me, I have seen plenty of instances where the designer thought they were creating molecular gastronomy, but all they were really doing was serving up some foul stew that no user could possibly figure out or even want to engage with.

Sure, shoot for those Michelin stars, designer/chefs! At the same time, though, don’t forget to keep slinging out the hash and keeping those lights on.


Aarron is a VP at InVision, started UX at MailChimp & has written a couple of books
(Not too surprisingly, though, he started out with a BFA and MFA in painting)

No comments:

Post a Comment